- 2. How long will you be working on my project? What are the stages of work, and how long could each stage take?
- 3. What are the costs of developing my app?
- 4. I have only an idea of the project. What should I do next?
- 5. How can I protect my idea from theft?
- 6. Can the project price be fixed?
- 7. May I get the estimation for the entire project straight away?
- 8. Can I count on the maintenance and support of my project?
- 9. Do you give any warranties?
- 10. Can you use a ready-made code for my app?
- 11. Can you start with the development of my app, if I have a ready-made design?
- 12. Native or cross-platform mobile app development: which one should I choose?
- 13. What are your advantages over competitors?
- 14. Can I expect dedicated work on my project?
- Do not hesitate to ask more
Nowadays lack of time is one of the most common problems, but in business, this issue is felt most keenly. Here at Sombra, the success of our customers is the core value and we try to do our best to offer quality services and strive to save customers’ time.
We understand that all projects are different and each one is unique, but nevertheless, we highlighted 14 common questions based on our previous experience.
1. How does your work process look like?
Our company provides a wide range of services including web/mobile development and analysis/consulting, but regardless of the project, we recommend starting from MVP (minimum viable product) development. MVP is a technique that aims to build a product with the core functions and make improvements after users feedback.
Our process of work can be divided into three stages:
- Analysis phase
- Design phase
- Development phase
Stage of analysis is the crucial one as it determines all the following stages. During this step, a lot depends on the client, because (s)he has to precisely define how (s)he sees the product and what goals and purposes it will have. Meanwhile, our task is to analyze the other players on the market with similar products, to determine the target audience and to define the content for potential clients. After gathering and discussing the set of features, we move to the stage of design. Designers create a prototype with a few basic designs (for example, design for the main page), according to the target audience.
At the third stage, the pure magic starts: our developers begin with creating a backlog (list of features). Then slightly go to the project architecture and, finally, to technical documentation. During the entire development time, developers will keep you updated, so you can suggest any changes.
After the product is ready and released, our cooperation is not necessarily over. We are ready to work on your product development and updates and provide needed support.
2. How long will you be working on my project? What are the stages of work, and how long could each stage take?
As we mentioned above, we care about our customers and strive to minimize their costs and time loss, therefore we suggest starting from creating an MVP. From past cases, we know that developing an MVP takes from 3 to 4 months, but the period can vary from project to project. Before starting the development we estimate approximate time of work taking into consideration the level of complexity. Afterwards, developers inform you about the duration of the work. In case any delays occur, we will inform you will immediately as well.
Here are the stages of work with time estimation:
• Analysis – 10%;
• Design: – 5%;
• UX design – 5%;
• UI design – 10%;
• Development – 75%.
3. What are the costs of developing my app?
Developing an MVP from 3 to 4 months equals $25k-$35k in cash equivalent respectively, but it all depends on the project.
Please keep in mind, that here we just showed some rough estimation, which can vary according to the project difficulties and the work that should be done to get the finished product.
4. I have only an idea of the project. What should I do next?
Having an idea is great, but you have to be ready that a lot of work should be done to get a product out of it. If you consider us as a company that will embody your idea, the first thing we are going to do is business analysis (BA). BA gives us functional specifications which help to connect your business goals with the real product development. Roughly speaking, functional specification is a document that defines the operations system must perform. Here are some reasons why specification is helpful:
- Saving time
- Budget control
- Meeting your expectations
- Better vision
5. How can I protect my idea from theft?
We understand your concerns about this issue and can assure that we have a necessary mechanism to avoid such cases. There are two options to protect your intellectual property: either by signing a non-disclosure agreement or the Intellectual Property Agreement. Our company uses both of them to assure our clients that their ideas are safe and we are not going to steal them or spread. Our main objective is to build “win-win” relationships.
6. Can the project price be fixed?
If you prefer to work on a fixed contract we can consider doing so, but please note that the estimation of project price is based on time and efforts spent. Every stage of work will be precisely calculated, but we cannot exclude the possibility of unforeseen circumstances which may cause additional costs.
7. May I get the estimation for the entire project straight away?
We do not recommend to make estimations straight away because at this stage we cannot take into account all aspects, thereby display the real picture. As our experience shows only 30% of projects are estimated very precisely at the initial stages. Of course, we provide our customers with optimistic and pessimistic scenarios taking into account all the risks that may occur. We have an article related to project estimation and how the price of the development is calculated.
8. Can I count on the maintenance and support of my project?
The Sombra team does its best to ensure that our customers receive the most qualified services. We offer our clients two types of support: either full- or on-demand – support. We provide full backing if the first version of the project is launched and it needs to be further revised. In case, when some minor errors occur in the finished project, we provide maintenance on demand.
9. Do you give any warranties?
We guarantee you to perform all work in accordance with the obligations specified in the contract, also we ensure that you will receive the highly skilled services.
10. Can you use a ready-made code for my app?
Our developers can use the ready-made code, but please, keep in mind, there can be some risks: it can take a long time to understand the finished code. Also, it may be difficult to understand the domains and components of the code. Therefore, our time estimations will not be accurate.
In case we need to accelerate the work process or cut costs, we can use some open-source services, frameworks, and solutions.
11. Can you start with the development of my app, if I have a ready-made design?
It is good if you already have some mock-up, but before using it, we have to make sure it is qualitatively executed and can be incorporated into the project. In case everything is right, we will use the design and move on to the development. Otherwise, we can either refine the mistakes or just make a suggestion about what needs a change.
12. Native or cross-platform mobile app development: which one should I choose?
It depends. Firstly, you have to decide, what platforms you target. If you have only one targeted platform (IOS/Android), then definitely go with native technologies. In the case, there are several platforms, cross-platform is the option for you. When it comes to cross-platforming, our company uses Ionic/Phonegap frameworks. Ionic is the front-end framework for developing mobile apps with HTML5. It allows creating native looking apps for IOS, Android, etc. and at the same time, it saves money and simplifies developers’ work.
13. What are your advantages over competitors?
We are a team of more than 70 dedicated professionals, who possess a wide variety of skills and virtues that help get seamless results on a daily basis, but here are our distinctive characteristics we perceive as our main advantages:
- Our main value is a client, we aim to make them happy.
- We are interested in developing customers’ business to its full potential.
- Whole cooperation with clients is based on transparency, communication, and integrity.
- We perform deep business analysis before starting work on the project.
- We are top rated on UpWork and Clutch.co
14. Can I expect dedicated work on my project?
We have assembled a team of the most talented young developers around. Our employees are motivated, productive, highly capable and do their best to make happy. In case something unpredictable happens and we have to change the people on the project or the dates, we always inform our clients about that immediately. Besides, we provide customers with updates on the project, feedback, and discussions. You can be 100% sure your project is in the right hands and we will make all the necessary efforts (and even more) to unlock the full potential of your project.
Do not hesitate to ask more
We tried to cover all questions that can occur at any stage of our cooperation and we hope this article was useful for you. Moreover, we are happy to help if you have anything else to ask or you want to know us a little better.